DRIVING RESEARCH INNOVATION
Midlands Health Innovation coordinates and combines the collective excellence of 7 Midlands Innovation universities to deliver improved health and regional growth. Driving disruptive translational interventions and influencing nationally, Midlands Health Innovation draws together a critical mass of innovative regional stakeholders to impact national and global health challenges using local training strengths, expertise, networks, best practice and facilities.
As a collaborative translational engine for healthcare, Midlands Health Innovation represents:
- A critical mass of regional health-related research and innovation activity
- A platform for delivering disruptive interventions
- A ‘Team Science’ community of good practice, technical expertise and peer support
- An ability to rapidly coordinate potential synergies and delivery of joint innovation
- A partnership forum promoting Midlands innovation in research, policy and practice
SCALE IN RESEARCH
High quality translational research and clinical trials infrastructure, hosting multiple national centres of research excellence, 3 BRCs and 4 CRFs. >£260M health research p.a.
SCALE IN HEALTHCARE
50 NHS Trusts, supporting a population of ~11million (1/6 UK) and 27% of the country’s NHS Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships.
SCALE IN SKILLS
Our Medical Schools train 20% of the UK’s medical professionals, within a region where 38% are employed within highly skilled, knowledge intensive sectors.
SCALE IN INDUSTRY
MHI partners deliver >£130M of Business and Community engagement p.a. The Midlands region is also in the UK’s top 3 for Life Sciences employment (>30,000 jobs).
MEET THE TEAM
Aston University - Professor Anthony Hilton
University of Birmingham - Professor David Adams
Keele University - Professor Pauline Walsh
University of Leicester - Professor Philip Baker
Loughborough University - Professor Mark Lewis - CHAIR
University of Nottingham - Professor John Atherton
University of Warwick - Professor Sudhesh Kumar
A JOINT STRATEGY
The aim of this initiative is to position the cutting-edge Medical and Health-based innovations and research produced across the Midlands at the forefront of the UK. We are striving to create more large-scale collaborative activities across the partnership and with others.
This will be achieved by delivering against the following objectives:
- To provide co-ordination for the generation of research intensive applications and initiatives which link MHI Universities. These will often involve linking with industry, the NHS and/or local government
- To facilitate sharing of resources between MHI Universities, with the aim of furthering collaboration and expanding capabilities
- To increasing research and collaboration with Midlands NHS Trusts to co-ordinate patient-based research facilities across the Midlands
- To respond as a united voice to consultations and funding opportunities which are targeted at the Midlands region as a whole
Available to download here: Midlands MedTech Sector Analysis report - This report, in conjunction with Midlands Engine, outlines the MedTech industry in the Midlands, which delivers £1.6 billion GVA to the region and sustains > 23,000 jobs.