One of our responsibilities as a data controller is to be transparent in our processing of your personal data and to tell you about the different ways in which we collect and use your personal data. The University will process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 and this privacy notice is issued in accordance with the GDPR Articles 13 and 14.
The information we collect automatically
It is possible to use our website without providing any personal data. However, please be aware that we may record information such as:
- the areas of the website you visit
- information about your computer, such as which browser you are using, your network location, the type of connection you are using, etc
The information you provide to us
In some areas of our websites we may ask you for personal data, such as your name, address and email details, that will enable us to make your site visit a more rewarding experience for you and/or to contact you after your visit. Examples of this might be where you complete an online form to book a place on one of our events, where you ask for information about a job vacancy, or where you subscribe to an online newsletter.
In some other areas of our websites, e.g. if you report a problem with our websites, we may ask you for more detailed information about yourself. In order to provide certain types of services, it may be necessary for us to collect and process additional personal data.
We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide.
How we may use this information
Personal data which we collect about you via our websites is held on and processed by computers situated at The University of Nottingham. We will retain this data for a reasonable period or for as long as the law requires.
We will only use this personal data for the purposes for which it was collected, unless you have given us permission to use it for other stated purposes. For example, if you supply us with your name and address so we can send you event tickets, and at the same time you agree that we may send you similar information in the future, we may subsequently invite you to another event.
We may also use personal data collected from you via our websites:
- to manage and monitor use of our website
- to notify your about changes to our websites or services
- to ensure that content from our websites is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer
- to administer our websites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- to improve our websites to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our websites safe and secure
- to provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to those you have already requested or enquired about
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about services that may interest you or them
- to provide, or allow selected third parties to provide, advertisements about goods and services which we feel may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if Midlands Innovation or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. However, before transferring your personal data, we will do our best to ensure that appropriate arrangements are in place to protect your privacy.
If at any time you want to withdraw any permission you have given us to provide you with services, or to use your personal data in any other way, please inform us by email email@example.com
If you would like to see information we hold about you or have your information corrected/deleted please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Access Requests
Under the 1998 Act you are entitled to access information held about you. A request for a copy of information held about you is called a "Subject Access Request". To make a subject access request, please contact The University of Nottingham Data Protection Officer. Please note that we are entitled to, and do, charge a fee of £10 for providing this information.
Our websites and our computer systems have security measures in place with the aim of protecting the loss, misuse or alteration of personal data held by us.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our websites; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Comments or questions
Data Protection Officer,
A5, Trent Building,
University of Nottingham,
They can be emailed at email@example.com.